Overview of the Directorate of Information and Communication Technology (DICT)
The Directorate of DICT is under the stewardship of Tahir Abdurahman Moh’d, and simultaneously leading the Network Unit within the Directorate. DICT assumes a pivotal role in the university’s digital ecosystem, encompassing a wide range of responsibilities and services designed to enhance the institution’s technological capabilities. The Directorate is comprised of Five (5) units namely Network, Web Content Update, Computer Services, Software Development, Management Information System (MIS), Business and Training. Each of the unit has a unit Head who oversees the affairs of the unit and they are directly responsible to the Director ICT.
DICT is at the forefront of a variety of critical activities that contribute to the university’s technological advancement:
- Website and Portal Management: DICT is responsible for the development and continuous maintenance of the university’s website and portal, ensuring they remain cutting-edge and informative platforms for students, faculty, staff, and the wider community.
- Network Infrastructure: The Directorate undertakes the design, installation, deployment, and comprehensive management of the university’s network infrastructure, enabling seamless connectivity across the campus.
- Technical Support: DICT provides invaluable technical support to various Directorates, Departments, and Units within the university on a multitude of ICT-related matters, guaranteeing that these entities function smoothly.
- End-User Training: A fundamental aspect of DICT’s role is the provision of technical training to end-users, equipping them with the skills necessary to proficiently navigate various applications and technologies.
- Routine Maintenance: The Directorate offers routine maintenance services to end-users throughout the university community, ensuring that their ICT systems remain efficient and reliable.
Vision: To serve as the technological cornerstone of the university, enabling a dynamic, innovative, and digitally proficient community aims to empower the university to be a leader in technological advancement within the academic and administrative world.
Mission: DICT’s mission encompasses several key objectives:
- Enable a state-of-the-art digital presence: By managing the website and portal, DICT seeks to provide an engaging and informative platform for all stakeholders.
- Facilitate seamless connectivity: Through the management of network infrastructure, DICT strives to ensure reliable, high-speed, and secure connectivity across the entire campus.
- Deliver expert support: DICT is dedicated to providing timely and effective technical support to various university units, fostering an environment of productivity and innovation.
- Empower end-users: The Directorate’s mission is to equip faculty, staff, and students with the skills and knowledge required to leverage technology effectively in their academic and administrative pursuits.
- Ensure ICT system reliability: DICT’s commitment to routine maintenance guarantees that all ICT systems remain operational, minimizing disruptions and downtime.
In conclusion, DICT operates as the central hub for all ICT-related functions within the university. The Directorate’s specialized units work cohesively to deliver cutting-edge technology solutions, technical support, and training, contributing significantly to the university’s mission of academic excellence and administrative efficiency. Through its vision and mission, DICT aims to drive the university’s technological progress, creating a digitally advanced and empowered academic community.
Unit Head: Tahir Abdurahman Moh’d
Overview: The Network Unit plays a pivotal role in ensuring a robust and reliable network infrastructure for the University. Led by my humble self Tahir Abdurahman Moh’d, we are committed to providing seamless network services, fostering innovation, and securing the University’s digital ecosystem. Below are outlines activities, vision, and mission of the Network Unit.
- Internet Service Provision: We manages the provision of high-speed internet services throughout the campus, ensuring that faculty, staff, and students have reliable connectivity for their academic and research needs.
- Network Design and Expansion: We continually evaluates the university’s network infrastructure and designs expansion plans to accommodate the growing demands of users. We work to improve the network’s efficiency, speed, and coverage.
- Implementation, Management of Server Room and Operations: We also oversee the setup and management of the university’s server rooms. This includes server deployment, maintenance, and ensuring high availability for critical systems and services.
- Troubleshooting Network Issues: We are responsible for promptly diagnosing and resolving any network-related problems across the university campus. This ensures minimal disruption to academic and administrative operations.
- Security Recommendations: In the Network Unit we assess and implement security features and protocols to safeguard the university’s network from cyber threats and vulnerabilities. We work to establish a secure digital environment for data, research, and communication.
- Network Documentation: The unit maintains detailed documentation of the network infrastructure, configurations, and changes, making it easier to troubleshoot issues, plan expansions, and ensure regulatory compliance.
Vision: To become a model of excellence in network infrastructure management within the academic community and provide a network environment that fosters innovation, supports research education, empowers users with reliable and secure connectivity.
Mission: To Ensure the university’s network is always available, reliable, capable of meeting the evolving needs of the academic community and provide facility that enable access to digital resources, knowledge for faculty staff, students and collaborate with other units within the Directorate of ICT to create a seamless, efficient, and secure digital ecosystem.
In summary, the Network Unit, under our leadership, plays a pivotal role in ensuring that the university’s digital infrastructure is reliable, secure, and conducive to research, education, and administrative activities. Our commitment to innovation and service excellence contributes significantly to the overall success of the institution.
Mr. Ahmed Umar Mustapha is current head of the Web Content Update (WCU) Unit is responsible for maintaining and updating the University’s online content; it will make sure that correct, current, and interesting content is updated on the website.
On the other hand, the unit is responsible for maintaining records on the website, updating staff promotions and student graduation, and updating the university website with any current information on principal officers, deans, directors, heads of departments, and units whenever necessary.
Ahmad U Mustapha
Mr. Mahmud Tahir is the head of Computer Services (CSU) The Unit is charged with the responsibility of installing, configuring, diagnosing and Troubleshooting Computers and peripherals, the Unit also support the entire Staff of the university in their day to day activities with Computer System Unit, Computer Consumable, e.t.c.
B.Sc. Computer Science
System Analyst I
Head, Computer Service Unit
Mr. Sadiq Adamu, mCPN, mIAENG, mNISET, mTRCN
At the Software Development Unit, we turn data into knowledge and offer superior systemized solutions for the commercial operations of many universities. We solve problems by digitalizing academic and administrative processes, we concentrate on and emphasize humans’ interactions. In a similar vein, people discuss what constitutes a successful dispute and accept projects.
We focus on developing software solutions that will simplify and make learning and teaching procedures more fun for both staff and students. We put a lot of effort into designing software for each administrative function in order to maintain structure, incorporate the newest educational resources, and manage a modern institute. The unit could have to collaborate under clear and agreed-upon terms with sister institutions, vendors, persons, or groups of individuals. Finally, the software development unit constantly scans the university website/portal to ensure that prospective students can easily interact with and apply to the programs offered by the institution.
Below are his social and academic media handles.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2l9j9RYAAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sadiq-Adamu-4
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0003-1954-9901
Engr. Farouk AB Mohammed is the head of Management Information System (MIS) Unit. The MIS Unit will develop and manage the University’s MIS infrastructure, ensuring the availability of accurate and timely information for effective decision-making and resource allocation. The unit is also responsible for update and maintaining of the University’s Portal and GST exam server.
Mr. Umar Isa Bukar is the head of the business & training unit. The unit focuses on day-to-day business activities in all sections of the directorate so as to have a competitive and effective unit.
Also responsible for the effective running of computer consumables, CBT training and implementation of strategic business processes in the Directorate.
The success of this unit is crucial for the directorate’s overall competitiveness and efficiency. It requires a mix of business acumen, technological expertise, and a focus on learning and development. Regular assessments and adaptability are key in this ever-evolving landscape.
Umar Isa Bukar
Chief Computer Operator
Head business unit