BRIEF ON FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
The Faculty of Environmental Sciences, Nigerian Army University Biu is the bedrock for sustainable development to the University and the Nation in general and also in line with the vision of the founders of the University to have a Green University. As concerns about the changing environment as well as the need for life – long skills and self – reliant courses are being expected to be the core courses offered in the Faculty given that the Military is also concern with changes in the environment.
The Faculty was established in 2018 with Prof. H. O. Aboh as its first overseeing Dean. The Faculty commenced operations in the 2018/2019 Academic Session. Subsequently, Prof. Bukar Abdullahi was tasked to oversee the faculty when Prof. Aboh left and served as Dean between March 2020 to December 2021. Dr. Daniel W. Mshelia then assumed the Deanship role on acting capacity from December 2020 to March 2021. The current substantive Dean, Brigadier General Ali Williams Butu was appointed in March, 2021.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE FACULTY
The Faculty has five Departments that are closely related and collectively focused on the science of understanding, ordering, managing and monitoring the natural, human and built environments. However, within this broad structure each department is specialized in one major area of the science of the environment (Natural, human or built) in order to provide detailed theoretical and practical spatial/temporal perspectives that would help achieve a harmonious and sustainable development.
The basic thrust of the Faculty is to develop an integrated network of teaching and research framework that would produce well trained and competent graduates that will be capable of directing and managing complex processes of development and change in the natural, human and built environment. Thus, the understanding, design, implementation and monitoring of land cover, land uses, plans and policies, design and execution of building projects are given special consideration and topmost priority in the Faculty. Each department is moderately equipped to handle area of its specializing with efforts being directed at achieving the overall objectives of the University towards knowledge, creativity and innovation for National development in the twenty – first century.
THE DEAN FEVS
Brig Gen AW BUTU (DSS, mANG, mEMAN, mASCT, mTRCN, Ph.D)
Brigadier General Ali William Butu hails from Takum Local Government Area, Taraba State. He was commissioned into Nigerian Army Education Corps as a Lieutenant in June 1992. He is an Associate Professor of Geography, a serving General and the current Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Sciences Nigerian Army University Biu, Borno State. He has formally served: .. Read More
The Faculty of Environmental Sciences commenced operations with 4 Academic Departments in the 2018/2019 Academic session. The Departments are; Department of Building, Department of Environmental Management, Department of Estate Management and Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics. The Department of Urban and Regional Planning was later introduced in the 2019/2020 Academic session
HEAD OF DEPARTMENTS
The various departments are headed by competent Academics as follows
- Department of Building is headed by Dr. Aminu G. Waziri The Department is one of the Academic Department in the Faculty of Environmental Sciences of the Nigerian Army University Biu. The Department is administered by the head of department in collaboration with the Dean of the faculty and the departmental Board members. The department has the departmental Board as the decision-making .. Read More
- Department of Environmental Management Is headed by Dr. Nchedo Nnedi Ubachukwu The Environmental Management Department is one of the Academic Department in the Faculty of Environmental Sciences of the Nigerian Army University Biu. The Department is administered by the head of department in collaboration with the Dean of the faculty and the departmental Board members. The department has the departmental Board as the decision making Read More
- Department of Estate Management Is headed by Dr Mohammed Akilu Umar is the Head of Department of Estate Management in the Faculty of Environmental Sciences of the Nigerian Army University, Biu, Borno State. He is a senior lecturer in the department of Estate Management. He holds B. Tech. in Estate Management from Abubakar Tafawa University in 2005. He started work as a lecturer in the department of .. Read More
- Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics Is headed by Mr. Jackson I.Matapa Surveying profession has been revolutionized as a result of Computer Automation and Information Technology. This has affected the methods of data acquisition, data analyses, data presentation and .. Read More
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning Is headed by Mr. Solomon M. Soji The Department of Urban and Regional Planning took off in 2018/19 Session with two staff and 18 students. The Department has made steady growth since then having increased its staffing and students’ population as well as its programmes. The Department currently offers courses of study and research leading to the award of .. Read More