Prof Fatimah Ja’afar Tahir, the second female Bauchi state’s Prof but the first female Professor of Microbiology produced by Abubakar Tabawa Balewa University (ATBU) Bauchi and Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Nigerian Army University Biu (NAUB), Borno State. Born on 8th February 1966, obtained her education in Bauchi from primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
Her outstanding academic achievements within Bauchi State makes her refer to herself as “Made in Bauchi”. This is because her tertiary education was done in ATBU Bauchi beginning from her first degree, masters and PhD. Equally, her entire professional career was accomplished in ATBU, Bauchi, where she started as a Graduate Assistant and rose to the level of Professor of Microbiology. She started in 1991 as a Graduate Assistant and moved to the rank of Assistant Lecturer in 1994 after her masters. There after she got the usual promotions every year to Lecturer II, Lecturer I, Senior Lecturer and in 2009, she became a Professor.
Professor Fatimah Tahir has written over 30 publications in reputable journals, a few are:
- Haruna, U.S; Tahir, F.; Agbo, E.B. and Umar, F. (2015). Isolation and Identification of Entomopathogenic Fungi from Kanawa Forest Soil, Gombe State. Proceedings of The 39th Annual Conference of Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST), Held at Owerri. Pg 156. F. Tahir.
- Habibu, A, Muhammad, M., Okpanachi,I.Y, Tahir, F. and Abdulhameed, A. (2016)Mass Production of Entomopathogenic Fungi Metarhizium anisopliae from Biomass Substrates. Proceedings of NTBA/NSCB Joint Biodiversity Conference; Unilorin :77-79.
- M. N. Yakubu, F. M. Adamu, A. A. Barde, M. Muhammad and F. Tahir (2018). Effect of the entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae against Mosquitos (Aedes aegypti) invitro conditions. International Journal of Innovative Approaches in Science Research. 2 (2), 58-68. https://doi.org/10.29329/ijiasr. 2018.140.2.Copyright © 2018. This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND.
- B.A Haruna; F. Tahir; A.F. Umar; M.M. Ibrahim; H.J. Balla; A.M. Umoru; I.M. Tom; A. Aliyu and A. Abubakar (2018). Detection of Multi-Drug Resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis among Suspected Patients in Northeastern Nigeria. International Journal of Pathogen Research, 1(3): 1-11.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATION:
- Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM).
- Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST).
- Nigerian Society for Parasitology (NSP).
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM).
- Society for Applied Microbiology (sfam)
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
- ATBU – University of Wales, Cardiff CEPPU Link Award (1997).
- Third World Organization of Women in Science (TWOWS) Fellowship Award (2000).
- Achievement Award as The First Female Professor From Bauchi L.G.A By Association for The Support of Higher Education in Bauchi L.G.A (2011).
- Honourary Merit Award for Scholarship By Kofar Nassarawa Foundation Bauchi (2013).
- Merit Award for The Best Skilled Lecturer in The Department of Biological Sciences By Biological Sciences Students Association ATBU Bauchi (2014).
- Award of Recognition By Centre for Community Empowerment and Youth Development Bauchi (CCE) (2018).
- Sir Ahmadu Bello Humanitarian Service Award By Association of Northern Nigerian Students (2019).
She has held so many administrative responsibilities in the university which include among others;
- 1992 – 1997: Assistant Examination Officer, BSP.
- 1997 – 1999: Examination Officer, BSP.
- 2000 – 2007: Representative of School of Science in Board of Studies School of Agriculture.
- 2000 – 2007: Member, School of Science Promotion Committee.
- 2001 – 2003: Member, School of Science Exam. Misconduct and Medical Cases Committee.
- 2004 – 2005: Examination Officer BSP
- 2004 – 2008: Assistant Hall Warden, (Hall III)
- 2004 – 2007: Member BSP Promotion Committee
- 2005 – 2010: Deputy Director Academic Planning Unit.
- 2008 – 2010: Visiting HOD, Biological Sciences Dept. Gombe State Univ.
- 2008 – 2013: Hall Warden (Hall III).
- 2010 – 2014: Director Human Resource and Development.
- 2015- 2017: Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies.
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Fermentaion Technology
- Biomass Production of Entomopathogenic Fungi
- Industrial Media Formulations
- Medicinal Plants and Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
Member, Biological Sciences mycology research group
Prof Tahir has served and is still serving in Governing Councils, and Boards of College of Education, and many NGOs. Prof Tahir is a reputable lead researcher and member of many research groups in ATBU, a beneficiary of the third world organisation of women in science (TWOWS) research grant award, Professor Fatimah Tahir was also an external examiner and supervisor to many postgraduate students of MSc and PhD in Nigerian Universities.
She is married with children.